Since I Don’t Have An Extra $120

I’m working on building my own wool combs!

After much research (looking at wool combs on the net, different styles and types) and after reading these instructions , generously provided by a like minded soul —

There was the first attempt…

I tried using some old pine I found in the basement but it was too weak and tended to crack along the lines of nails – not to mention that this is my very FIRST time using a drill, lol, so there was a lot of learning to drill straight!

100_2409

Not really very pretty. I scrapped the first few.

I regrouped. So far I had spent zero dollars since I got the nails (3.5 inch finishing nails) at Canadian Tire with Canadian Tire money (love that) and didn’t want to spend a lot on wood.

So! My husband and I decided to check the dollar store and found these lovely things…

100_2412

5 minute epoxy – $1
2 4″ paintbrushes – $2 (I’m thinking these are fabulous candidates for comb-i-fying, great handles, great width and I think I can drill through the metal sleeve which I’m thinking will help support the wood. We’ll see!)
4 bamboo sets of utensils – $4 (The spoons will go in the kitchen and the spatulas are what I wanted for the first set of combs)

So, I’ve spent $7 (and I have four new wooden spoons) in total!!! Very exciting, lol.

Ok, and a day and half but I’d be knitting anyways šŸ™‚

Here are some pictures as it went…

I drilled holes with centres approx 1/4 inch apart and a second offset row about a 1/4 inch away, in two of the spatulas (sanded it down when it was done but the bamboo drills beautifully)…

100_2414

I fitted the third and fourth spatulas to fit underneath the nail heads, held by epoxy (maybe I should have added screws, we’ll see in time). First I used a larger bit to make halfway holes that the heads of the nails could sit in. I clamped the two pieces together and marked the holes first.

100_2416

I then fitted the nails into the holes, cut the handles off the third and fourth (backing) spatulas, on the marked lines, and mixed the epoxy in an old cup. I spread a thick layer of epoxy onto the nail heads and their side of the first and second spatulas and fitted the backs on. I could have done a better job but I’m giving myself high marks for a first try šŸ™‚

Now they’re clamped and drying for a bit…

100_2419

See the holes on the far one? I got a little excited it was going so well and drilled a little too far on that backing šŸ™‚ I’m thinking it will fill in nicely later with putty, if I want to go that far.

And VOILA! The finished combs, yet to be tested on actual fibre…

100_2422

100_2426

I may yet get fancy and use the sander to smooth them out around the joined edges – maybe even stain them šŸ™‚

Next up…the paint brush wool comb project šŸ™‚

Advertisements

One thought on “Since I Don’t Have An Extra $120

  1. Very nice. Great work. My mom used to work at a (USA) colonial heritage site where there was demonstration of fiber crafts using the basic tools they would have had 200 – 300 years ago. I wish I could remember how their knitting combs were made! Maybe contact Sturbridge Village, Mass. or Williamsburg Va.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s