My first sock is all done! I’m pretty happy with it. My lace turned out more like a textural stitch…the guage is so tight that you can’t really see the ‘laciness’ of it. Ok though, I like how it ended up looking very much. The fabric is nice and sturdy while being stretchy enough for a comfortable sock.
I used the ‘St. Johns Wort’ stitch pattern and a short row heel. I like how the heel came out…no holes at all. What I would change, next time I knit these, is the depth of the heel. I went down to 18 sts but I think they may be better with 16, adding the two extra short rows and a little more depth to the heel.
My attempts to design a sock hit a snag yesterday! This is actually attempt number 2. Number one had to frogged after I found I had increased to too many stitches. I forgot to consider negative ease. I also didn’t like the rate of increase…too triagular for my liking. So here I have a more rounded, shorter toe. I did use the Eastern Cast On method which I like because I can start with many stitches (16 in this case) and they are ‘grafted’ without grafting! 🙂
It’s so hard for me to think of a name for this sock. Naming inanimate objects isn’t my strong point. I’ve got a few ideas though…
It’s so much fun and yet so challenging to knit without a pattern. Such a feeling of possibility…and such a possibility of having to frog! lol. That is the part that keeps me from this most of the time.