Yep, two balls of araucania ranco multy. No dye lots. Different colour balance. Crap. One sock is very purple…one has a very purple foot and a really blue leg, lol.
But, since I’m extremely anti-frog…I’m going to keep them the way they are. The alternative (and an option if they bug me enough) is to frog both socks and mix the two skeins together by knitting a few rows of one and then a few rows of the other.
The moral of the story? ALWAYS check the two skeins – preferably in the daylight – to check the colour balance. I’m sure, had I done so, that it would have been obvious!
I don’t usually stress about these kinds of mistakes – it’s good enough for me that I know what happened and that I won’t do it again in the future. I’ll always look at this pair of socks in a bittersweet way…
The knitting is beautiful and even. The lace is gorgeous. The fit is perfect. The. Colour. Is. Off.
It’s the first of my Lacy Knee Socks. A few better pictures…
I worked a couple repeats fewer than the pattern calls for before beginning shaping and then shortened and modified the diamond shaped increase area. I kept a lot of notes – separated into pattern repeats so I can easily follow them on the second sock (or the second, third or fourth pair, really). A big job to knit but well worth it. I think the ribbing I added will keep them from falling down at all — they’re a perfect fit. 🙂
I realized, after finishing my version of ‘tempest’, that I had just enough of the Araucania ranco multy to make the Lacy Cables Knee Socks. And I do love knee socks! It’s funny because I was purely an ‘ankle sock girl’ until just recently.
They’re going to be gorgeous!
I’m starting the calf increases now and hope I’ll have one finished pretty soon. I may change the increases somewhat but I’ll have to figure that out as I go.
I’m focusing on them instead of on my ‘news’. I’ve just been scheduled for a small surgery and I’m as nervous as can be. I have to have a cyst and some breast tissue removed next month. I’m scared, nervous…the inner freaking out thing while on the outside I’m trying to set a good example for my girls and be a ‘big girl’ about it. All I have to say is aging sucks as far as the body goes…
Then, on to finishing up a few things in the halfway-done-pile…
The medallion sweater.
The cabled hoodie.
The frost flowers and leaves shawl (poor thing has been languishing for more than a year – two years in march as a matter of fact! – waiting for its knitted edging to be finished).
The flower mittens for my daughter – waiting for their thumbs, lol.
Another dream of mine – I’d like to sort all my yarn. Properly. Really. LOL, normally it’s a project that gets half way done and then gets the ‘good enough’ and sits that way. This year I’m hoping to do as I did last year – knit mainly from the stash. We’re so broke lately, I’m loving this hoarding habit of mine!
This is my version of ‘Tempest‘ from knitty by Ann Weaver. I followed the pattern advice and went with negative ease (28″ bust – I am a 32/34) and I love how it fits – other than I wouldn’t mind it a little longer, maybe by a couple stripes or so…
I used two balls of sock yarn – one ‘ranco multy’ and one austermann ‘step’. What an awesome alternative to socks!! I’m so glad I didn’t use these up before now 🙂 The ranco was a birthday gift I recieved last February and I’ve had the step even longer, lol. Now, instead, I have this beautiful sweater!
I made a few modifications;
*knit the body in one piece up to the armhole shaping.
*knit the sleeves in one piece and lengthened them to long sleeves, decreasing the amount of stitches cast on.
*lengthened the body at the waist by two small stripes.
Then I spent the entire afternoon sorting buttons from the vintage button stash. I found some nice copper buttons and used those…
I can’t believe I finished this in four days! Of almost constant work, mind you…
I’ve been working on turning this…(superwash merino in ‘dusty cornflower’ from Sakina Needles)
into THIS 🙂
I’m planning to make it into a two ply and hope to have about 300 or so yards.
I’m still knitting jeanie….
Yes, turning out very beautiful…what an interesting looking pattern…making me want to design a drop stitch sweater along these same lines! In the movie ‘premonition’, Sandra Bullock has on a beautiful white sweater which I *think* is a drop stitch pattern. LOL…I may have to freeze frame it to check it out sometime!
I’m happy to say that we’re all moved in and I’ve cast on for Jeanie from knitty.com. I’m using the Ranco Multi I got for my birthday a while back and I love how it’s turning out so far. I’m afraid the pattern isn’t as difficult as I thought, lol – guess reading it through would have shown me that! – it may be a little boring as time goes on.
The house is great, comfy and feels like home already. The kids are settling in very well and next week everyone will be back in school. We’re planting some seeds tomorrow to celebrate spring — I know spring started today but we’re a little off schedule 😉 We have some tomatoes, peppers and some flowering vines for the porch. I’m on a wireless signal right now which doesn’t seem too co-operative…I’ll try to post some pictures if I can.
Tomorrow the laundry will be all hooked up and I’ll begin to tackle laundry mountain. A family can sure make a lot of it in a week or so without machines!