This is my version of ‘Tempest‘ from knitty by Ann Weaver. I followed the pattern advice and went with negative ease (28″ bust – I am a 32/34) and I love how it fits – other than I wouldn’t mind it a little longer, maybe by a couple stripes or so…
I used two balls of sock yarn – one ‘ranco multy’ and one austermann ‘step’. What an awesome alternative to socks!! I’m so glad I didn’t use these up before now 🙂 The ranco was a birthday gift I recieved last February and I’ve had the step even longer, lol. Now, instead, I have this beautiful sweater!
I made a few modifications;
*knit the body in one piece up to the armhole shaping.
*knit the sleeves in one piece and lengthened them to long sleeves, decreasing the amount of stitches cast on.
*lengthened the body at the waist by two small stripes.
Then I spent the entire afternoon sorting buttons from the vintage button stash. I found some nice copper buttons and used those…
I can’t believe I finished this in four days! Of almost constant work, mind you…
My first sock is all done! I’m pretty happy with it. My lace turned out more like a textural stitch…the guage is so tight that you can’t really see the ‘laciness’ of it. Ok though, I like how it ended up looking very much. The fabric is nice and sturdy while being stretchy enough for a comfortable sock.
I used the ‘St. Johns Wort’ stitch pattern and a short row heel. I like how the heel came out…no holes at all. What I would change, next time I knit these, is the depth of the heel. I went down to 18 sts but I think they may be better with 16, adding the two extra short rows and a little more depth to the heel.
My attempts to design a sock hit a snag yesterday! This is actually attempt number 2. Number one had to frogged after I found I had increased to too many stitches. I forgot to consider negative ease. I also didn’t like the rate of increase…too triagular for my liking. So here I have a more rounded, shorter toe. I did use the Eastern Cast On method which I like because I can start with many stitches (16 in this case) and they are ‘grafted’ without grafting! 🙂
It’s so hard for me to think of a name for this sock. Naming inanimate objects isn’t my strong point. I’ve got a few ideas though…
It’s so much fun and yet so challenging to knit without a pattern. Such a feeling of possibility…and such a possibility of having to frog! lol. That is the part that keeps me from this most of the time.
Good morning! I’ve finished my son’s sweater, I’m happy to report. My picture taking skills leave much to be desired though, so the only picture I have taken so far is out of focus. I think I can do better so I’ll try again tonight. He is very happy with it! It makes me happy when my knitting can make someone else so happy. Just in time too, for the cooler weather.
Last night I cast on for a pair of socks. We’ll see how they turn out….I’ll keep you posted. I am using size 1.5 mm dpns and a fine fingering weight yarn (Austermann step). I think (being a person who doesn’t do proper guage swatches) that the guage is about 12 sts per inch. I’m ‘inventing’ the pattern as I go and keeping notes. I want them to be lacy, fit nicely, probably ankle socks because I really hate socks that go higher than the ankle. I am using the Eastern Cast On method and going toe up. I love the truly seamless sock!
Here is my first glove from ‘Selbuvotter, Biography of a Knitting Tradition’ by Terri Shea’.
The pattern is “Annemor #15” with some variation on the one finger (made the longest one longer)
I am using Patons ‘kroy’ as my solid and Austermann ‘step’ as my pattern colour. I love how the colour shifts in the pattern using this wool. I have another ball in blues which I plan to use the same way. With four kids and a dh who spends his days outside, I can never have enough winter gear here!
This is my Austermann Step I was craving… the browns will be with the Kroy, I think, in a pair of stranded gloves and the blues will make nice socks for myself or one of the kids 🙂
You have to wonder about some people… I purchased these from my LYS and was in there two days last week…one day to buy the browns, two days later to buy the blues…dealt with the same lady…it is a VERY small and not very busy location…and she didn’t even act like she knew me, recognized me or anything of the sort….I was not very impressed and felt extremely low on their priority list. This is one of the reasons people are just as happy or happier shopping online…in my opinion.
The sweater I was working on in the acrylic (purchased the week prior from the same aforementioned LYS) for my son…the gansey…is TOO SMALL. Well, I suppose not quite yet, but it would fit him for about two weeks so I’m pulling it back out. I guess I should go about half way between the first two sizes for width and maybe go with the large for length in body and sleeves. The kid is bigger than he looks. I think maybe I should measure one of the shirts which fit him nicely rather than measuring the child, lol.
My ‘thermal’ in the elann ‘sock it to me collection’ sock yarn is coming along nicely. I think it will fit 😀 I have to finish the second sleeve and the neck line…should be taking a picture soon!
Sunday morning and cold as CAN BE here for July. Not that I’m complaining…I’m not really fond of the million degree weather we normally endure. Alright, an exaggeration…but you know.
I bought my Step that I’ve been craving. In TWO colours…cause I was short of wool. LOL. I have a beautiful ball in blues and another beautiful ball in browns. I think the blues will be socks and the browns will be gloves. Of course, that could change 🙂