NOTE: In the pattern, where I say to disregard row 1, I mean row one (the ‘no stitch’ row) of the charted pattern – I made the chart one row too long. The written pattern is correct as written. Sorry for any confusion! 🙂
I’ve been working on a little personal challenge – my socks are wearing out (they’re handknit so they are all a few years old) and I needed some more. The socks I like, however, are little. Ankle socks. With lace….lots of lace! Of course, as it usually is when one has something definite in mind – I couldn’t really find a pattern I liked for it’s style and pattern.
Yep, two balls of araucania ranco multy. No dye lots. Different colour balance. Crap. One sock is very purple…one has a very purple foot and a really blue leg, lol.
But, since I’m extremely anti-frog…I’m going to keep them the way they are. The alternative (and an option if they bug me enough) is to frog both socks and mix the two skeins together by knitting a few rows of one and then a few rows of the other.
The moral of the story? ALWAYS check the two skeins – preferably in the daylight – to check the colour balance. I’m sure, had I done so, that it would have been obvious!
I don’t usually stress about these kinds of mistakes – it’s good enough for me that I know what happened and that I won’t do it again in the future. I’ll always look at this pair of socks in a bittersweet way…
The knitting is beautiful and even. The lace is gorgeous. The fit is perfect. The. Colour. Is. Off.
I realized, after finishing my version of ‘tempest’, that I had just enough of the Araucania ranco multy to make the Lacy Cables Knee Socks. And I do love knee socks! It’s funny because I was purely an ‘ankle sock girl’ until just recently.
They’re going to be gorgeous!
I’m starting the calf increases now and hope I’ll have one finished pretty soon. I may change the increases somewhat but I’ll have to figure that out as I go.
I’m focusing on them instead of on my ‘news’. I’ve just been scheduled for a small surgery and I’m as nervous as can be. I have to have a cyst and some breast tissue removed next month. I’m scared, nervous…the inner freaking out thing while on the outside I’m trying to set a good example for my girls and be a ‘big girl’ about it. All I have to say is aging sucks as far as the body goes…
Then, on to finishing up a few things in the halfway-done-pile…
The medallion sweater.
The cabled hoodie.
The frost flowers and leaves shawl (poor thing has been languishing for more than a year – two years in march as a matter of fact! – waiting for its knitted edging to be finished).
The flower mittens for my daughter – waiting for their thumbs, lol.
Another dream of mine – I’d like to sort all my yarn. Properly. Really. LOL, normally it’s a project that gets half way done and then gets the ‘good enough’ and sits that way. This year I’m hoping to do as I did last year – knit mainly from the stash. We’re so broke lately, I’m loving this hoarding habit of mine!
I made them as sockettes rather than full leg socks but the pattern is very stretchy and the leg length is just a matter of preference. I love how the twisted cables nest together and how the single purl almost looks lacy. I think if I had made them longer and IF (not sure this would be necessary) shaping was required it would be easy enough to add in a second purl stitch in each space between the cables, probably every other space, work a certain number of rows and then every other again, to gradually add girth.
I’m so happy to have finished these 🙂 It’s satisfying to knit the one or two day projects, for me — and I’m happy because they are for my daughter’s 17th birthday which is about a week away.
I had way more yarn than I needed…I think I used just a little more than half of the ball. I realize I should have weighed it before I began — then I’d KNOW what I used! Had nothing here to weigh it with though…I really must get my own scale for yarn – borrowing is less than convenient.
It looks like we’re going to have a sunny weekend 🙂 We’re going to the ROM with the kids on Sunday…I can’t wait! Of all the things around here, somehow I’ve never been to the ROM and it’ll be so fun to discover it with the kids. My husband is even excited about it 🙂
I have MISPLACED (I refuse to use the word LOST) so many of my magazines and books and I’ve got no idea how or where or anything!
It all became apparent yesterday when I was looking for a magazine (IK I think?) that had a beautiful sock ‘recipe’ for all sizes, guages, etc…for toe up socks…that I often use when trying to design a new sock pattern…
Thank goodness that I’ve written it out in the past when I wrote the other sock patterns…I didn’t write out the guage charts (sure wish I had!) but at least I could recover the basics of the short row heel that I like to use.
Then my daughter asked for a book, for school, that I haven’t seen in quite a while and had almost forgotten about…leading me to consider all the other books that are missing. If there is any hope of finding them they may be in the basement in one of the unpacked boxes. LOL, at this point I’m wondering how we decided to put thoses boxes down there in the first place or if we were just tired the night we were moving in! Looking through all of them is NOT something I’m looking forward to but I really like knowing where my things are!
I managed to figure out my sock pattern anyways…it’s the Candy Stripe Socks pattern listed in the pages. They use, of course, the Candy Stripe Yarn that I spun from the superwash merino from the black lamb. I’m almost done the first sock…
I thought the twists in this pattern were reminiscent of the twists of candy cane sticks 🙂
I’ve also taken a picture of the spinning I’m working on…the first ply for the four ply….