I named these the ‘memories sock’ because they feature the st. john’s wort lace pattern….since st. john’s wort is used to help memory, I thought this name was appropriate 🙂
Ladies size medium
Austermann Step – approximately 60 grams
Size 1.5 mm dpns or size required for correct guage- guage is 12 sts/inch
Using eastern cast on method, cast on 16 sts.
- Arrange sts as follows; 1st needle: 4 sts, 2nd needle: 4 sts, 3rd needle: 8 sts.
- Round 1; K1, M1, K3 (first needle) K3, M1, K1 (second needle) K1, M1, K6, M1, K1.
- Continue in this manner, knitting in rounds, increasing one stitch in from each toe edge on upper and lower portion of foot (4 sts each round) to a total of 64 sts.
- Begin increasing every other row to a total of 84 sts.
- knit one round even
- knit one round, decreasing three sts evenly spaced on instep portion of sts (needle 3) (to decrease; K9, K2tog, K9, K2tog, K9, K2tog, K9)
- There will be 21 sts on needles 1 and 2, 39 sts on needle three for instep (patterned) portion of sock.
Begin patterning top of foot;
Pattern repeat is as follows;
- Round 1; k3, (sl, k2, psso, k3) repeat brackets to end (5 times more)
- Round 2; k4, yo, (k5, yo) repeat brackets 4 times more, end k4
- Round 3; k6, (s1, k2, psso, k3) repeat brackets 4 times more, end k3
- Round 4; k7, (yo, k5) repeat brackets 4 times more, end k2
- Work sole sts in stockinette and instep in pattern (repeat rounds one to four of lace pattern) until work measures approximately 7 1/2 ” from the tip of the toe. My socks used 19 1/2 repeats of the four round pattern.
- Work heel on 42 sole sts. Place the 39 instep sts on two dpns or waste yarn for later.
- The heel is worked with short rows.
First half of heel;
- row 1; (rs) knit across to the last heel st (do not work the last st), then turn the work around. There will be 1 st unworked.
- row2; (ws) yo backward, purl to the last st, leaving 1 st unworked at this end of the needle.
- row3; (rs) yo as usual and knit to the paired sts made by the yo of the previous row (the yo will stick out to the side of unworked st), leaving 3 sts on the left needle (i.e., do not knit the pair), turn,
- row4; (ws) yo backward and purl to the paried sts made by the yo of the previous row – 3 sts left unworked on left needle
repeat rows 3 and 4 until there are 18 sts left between yo’s and then begin the second half as follows; (NOTE: My socks were done with 18 sts left but I think the heel may be better with 16 sts instead)
- row1; (rs) wrap and knit to the first st of the pair (yo and knit st), k1, correct the mount of the yo, k2tog (the yo with the first st of the next pair) leaving a yo as the first stitch on the left needle
- row2; (ws) yo backward, purl to the paired stitch made by the yo of the previous row, purl the first st of the pair, ssp (the yo with the first st of the next pair leaving a yo as the first st on the left needle)
- row3;(rs) yo as usual, knit to the paired st made by the yo of the previous row, knit the first st of the pair (the following two loops are yo’s), correct the mount of the yo’s, k3tog (the two yo’s with the next st), turn
- row4;(ws) yo backward, purl to the next yo, sssp (slip 3 sts knitwise and purl tbl) (the two yo’s with the first st of the next pair)
- row5; (rs) yo, knit to the next yo, k3 tog, turn
Repeat rows 4 and 5 until all sts are worked. Wrap sts as usual after turning on final row. (these sts will be knitted together with the first instep sts on each side to prevent holes)
- knit 6 rounds, keeping lace pattern going on instep portion of sts
- 7 rounds of k2, p2 ribbing (k2tog at back of ankle on first round to even out st count)
- Cast off LOOSELY in rib